Monday, January 2, 2012

Life Journal

I have blogged about Life Journalling before but I thought it would be a great time to talk about it again since a lot of people resolve to spend more time in the Word for the New Year.  Life Journals are one way to have some daily time reading the Bible and then reflecting on what you read.  You can go to their site at www.lifejournal.cc and then click on "Read Now".

Their method involves reading through the Bible in a year and picking out one passage or verse a day to journal about.  You use the acronym, "SOAP"....

Scripture: write out the verse
Observation: write out this verse in your own words and what you feel God is saying in it
Application: write out what how you feel this applies to your life
Prayer: write a prayer of how you need help living out this verse or what you hear God saying to you

It is that simple.  Here is an example of how I would do it using today's passage:

S-So he went back to Nazareth with them, and lived obediently with them. His mother held these things dearly, deep within herself. And Jesus matured, growing up in both body and spirit, blessed by both God and people.  Luke 2:51:52

O-Mary probably couldn't fully process all the miracles she had experienced both before and after Jesus was born.  She did her best to raise her son all while trying to understand the words she had heard about her child from angels and prophets.  

A-As a mom, I understand what it is like to marvel at the promises of God over my children.  My kids aren't Jesus and they aren't perfectly obedient every day but I know that they have a special plan for their lives and I need to focus on holding those promises dearly.  I am here to raise them to know God and fulfill the grand plan He has for them.

P-God help me to hold the promises for my kids dearly, deep in my heart.  Remind me of what you have said is in their future and reveal to us as their parents how we are to lead them through their childhood.  God let me never be too distracted that I forget that nurturing their spiritual growth is the most important job I have as a mom.

I really enjoy this method and I find it helps me focus on what I have read.  I hope this can help someone else.  They sell journals that outline the method and have the daily Bible reading on each page but you can do this online or in any notebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment