Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Favorite Kids' Books

Reading is a big deal in our house and I'm fortunate to have inherited the collection of Weekly Reader books my mother amassed when I was a child but when it comes to my favorite books, there are several stand-outs.

For Babies and Toddlers:
Silly Sally by Audrey Wood-Great easy rhyming book with fun pictures

Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell-This is a fun book that gives great opportunities to introduce animals and even make their sounds as you lift the flaps to guess what animal the zoo sent.

For Preschoolers
The Clown Arounds by Joanna Cole-I had several of these as part of the Weekly Reader program and I loved the jokes inside and the way the Clown Arounds tackled problems as a family.  This is a whole series each one is great.  I don't think these are in production anymore but you can still pick them up used.



Llama Llama, Mad at Mama by Anna Dewdney- I love this whole series as well.  It is a fun easy read that addresses issues and emotions that preschoolers really deal with.

 

For early readers
Young Cam Jansen and the Lost Tooth by David A. Adler-I love the Young Cam Jansen books because they keep kids engaged throughout the book trying to solve the mystery.  Kids can't put them down!



And of course...
Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder-I have read this to my early reader and let her help read along.  The Little House books provide a great opportunity to talk about history and what life was like during Laura's time.  My kids were mesmerized by the stories of how food was produced before grocery stores and Chick-Fil-A.

No comments:

Post a Comment