Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Finding joy in this diet

Let me start by saying that I'm thankful to be in the National Guard because I have to stay a healthy weight for my job.  Losing a job that you love is a powerful motivator to get and stay healthy.  I am exercising so that I can pass my fitness test but I knew that my eating habits needed to change as well.  I heard about the "Lose Baby Weight Diet" from Parents Magazine and decided to give it a shot.

I will be honest...I was really irritable about it at first.  I hate depriving myself and like most people I want to do what I want to do.  Then last night at Chili's I had a revelation.  I was ordering off the "Guiltless Grill" part of the menu when I really wanted an Oldtimer and fries with a side of ranch for ultimate fry dipping.  I was mad that I couldn't do what I wanted to do.  Then I looked at my kids.  I thought about what it would be like to be raised in a family that made really good food choices so that when you grew up you just automatically made those choices.  You splurged occasionally and indulged on holidays but for the most part, you made healthy food choices because it was just what you knew.

I'm thankful that I was raised at least halfway there.  We didn't grow up with fattening snacks around and we ate vegetables with dinner.  I just want to go even farther in that direction for my kids.  I want them to see me making good choices everyday and enjoying healthy foods not just enduring them.  I want them to see my husband and I exercising regularly because that is just what you do to take care of your body.

So it means I will have to be more intentional with what I eat...because it matters.  Not only for my job and the way I look in jeans but in how my kids will treat food for the rest of their lives.  I won't be on as strict of a diet forever but little changes add up and I want to be a good example for them in every area of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment