Sunday, September 27, 2009

1-2-3 Magic

I'm a big lover of the 1-2-3 Magic method of discipline but I'm first going to throw in a disclaimer.  I believe any method of discipline that emphasizes love when done consistantly is probably going to work.  This method just works for us.  I used to be a reluctant spanker.  I didn't want to do it but I didn't know what else to do and I couldn't see the value in time-outs.  I also used to get emotional when I disciplined and yelled a lot.  All of that changed when I bought the 1-2-3 Magic book.  Now we follow the method when our kids make bad choices and calmly work towards correcting their behavior.  Our house is much more peaceful and I no longer feel the need to spank or yell.  I don't feel helpless anymore when my kids misbehave.  I feel like the knowledge I have empowers me to get them back on the right track.  For us, this is a big part of intentionally parenting our kids.  We intend for them to grow up with self-discipline and manners and now we have the keys to make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment